Health, Fitness, Beauty & Diet | Sexual Health, Pregnancy & Parenting | Diseases

Complete health guide which includes fitness, beauty, diet, yoga, weight training, sexual health, pregnancy, parenting, diseases & home remedies. Get weight loss tips, food & healthy recipes.

Monday 28 August 2017

A glass before bed is all you need for a good night's sleep.


It’s unimaginable what a few hours of sleep deficit can do to you. You turn up at work the next day with swollen eyes and a heavy head. You need at least three cups of espresso to make sure you don’t fall face down on your keyboard.

 Last couple of weeks were quite hard on me. Erratic work hours had robbed me of my good night’s sleep and I was dying to catch my forty winks. Come weekends, I would lie staring at the ceiling for hours, awake as an owl. I tried some quick fixes such as the tried and tested warm glass of milk before bedtime, but with little success.

It was during one of these sleepless spells when I concocted my perfect sleep aid. Using my limited understanding of home remedies, I searched for a packet of poppy seeds ( khus khus) that my mother brought from the stores. I fished out a wholenutmeg (jaiphal) out of her masala cabinet and got down to work. Poppy seeds and nutmeg indeed have an intoxicating effect and have been long used in Indian households to cure sleep disorders.

Using these two ingredients, I upped the tranquilising effect of the plain glass of milk. Rest assured, I slept like a baby! If you want to make your own poppy seed-nutmeg sleep aid, follow the recipe to a T.

Ingredients:
1 cup of warm milk
2 teaspoons of poppy seeds
A pinch of nutmeg

Method1 Roast the poppy seeds lightly on a tawa till changes colour to a slight golden brown.
2 Now grind the seeds with a pestle and mortar and keep aside.
3 Add the khus khus powder to the warm milk along with the nutmeg powder.
4. Stir the mixture and drink while the milk is still warm.
Have a glassful every night before you hit the bed. The mild sedative effect of the poppy seeds and nutmeg will help you relax and sleep peacefully.

Image source: Shutterstock

No comments:

Post a Comment